Aging in Place Adults
Many homeowners want to stay connected to their community, friends, and neighbors by staying in their homes, so mobility and safety in the home is essential.
With my advanced training in vision deficits including macular degeneration, glaucoma, and cataracts, let me recommend home modifications that help prevent falls ensuring continued independence. Consider this:
A single fall can cost $25,000, and falls
- are more common than strokes and can be just as serious in their consequences
- are the most preventable cause of needing to move to a nursing home
- lead to problems walking, getting around, and doing daily activities like dressing and bathing
Among adults 70 years and older:
- 3 in 10 fall each year
- 2 in 10 who need home health care after being in the hospital will fall during the first month after coming home
- 1 in 10 suffer a serious fall injury such as a broken bone or head injury
- 5 in 10 have problems getting up without help after they have fallen
- Falls cause over 90% of broken hips; only half of those who break their hip will get around like they did before the injury
- In the United States, 16 percent of all emergency department visits and almost 7 percent of all hospitalizations are for fall-related injuries
Visit the Fall Prevention page and Modifications Examples page for details. [Link to those pages]
Contact me and we’ll talk about your unique requirements.
Click here to learn more about my professional qualifications.